What Essentials are necessary to ensure that you have the perfect roadtrip?
The essentials needed for the perfect roadtrip will all be dependent upon where you’re going and how long you will be gone for. For instance, if you are just going on a roadtrip for a couple of hours, there likely aren’t a lot of essentials that you’ll need to pack, however, you will need to ensure that your vehicle is in tip top shape. Whereas, if you plan on taking an extended roadtrip, there will be a plethora of items that you will need to pack up.
Choosing what essentials are required for your roadtrip.
Unlike travelling abroad, roadtrips take a relatively short time to prepare for. Whether the roadtrip that you have planned is a day roadtrip, weekend roadtrip, or week long roadtrip, it is necessary to be prepared with all of your roadtrip essentials packed and ready to go.
Since the majority of roadtrips are spontaneous and only for a day or two, there is very little planning involved. Just grab your roadtrip essentials and hit the road. When going on a longer roadtrip, there is a little more planning involved but my road trip essentials always remain the same.
Plan a Day or Weekend Roadtrip
For a spontaneous day or weekend roadtrip, all you have to do is grab your roadtrip bag, packed with everything you need, hop in the car and drive. There will be times when you plan on taking a roadtrip to do or see a specific thing and for a longer period of time. When deciding in which direction to drive for a short roadtrip, determine the destination by what you are in the mood to see or do. These are some things that should be taken into consideration:
- do you want to explore small towns
- do you want to head to the beach
- do you want to do some wine or beer tasting. If this is on the agenda, make sure you have a designated driver with you
- do you want to shop (this will never be on my list of considerations lol)
- do you want to hike or explore the outdoors
- do you just want to drive and take in the scenery
Once you have decided what it is that interests you, pack up everything that you will need for a perfect roadtrip, grab a Timmies (it’s a Canadian thing) and hit the road.
- Map your route on the paper map (google maps doesn’t always take you the most scenic way)
- determine if you want to stop and spend a night or two along the way
- if driving a considerable distance, where do you want to stop
- what hotels are available where you want to stop
- are there any sites that you want to see or hikes that you want to do at this stop. Try to schedule my overnight stops at a location that offers something that peaks your interest
- if you decide not to stop and drive straight to your destination, what activities and/or adventures are there at that destination
- are there daytrips that you might be interested in doing from my final destination
For a longer road trip, there are many more things to be taken into consideration. The first thing to consider is where the final destination will be. I have an easy way of doing this, at least it works for me. I have a road map (that’s right, an actual paper map) that I highlight every road trip I take. I don’t usually like to go to the same destination more than once, as I prefer to have new experiences. I pick a spot on the map that hasn’t been highlighted yet and that is the direction that I start driving towards. Once the destination has been determined, I go through my list of Road trip Essentials.
It doesn’t matter how organized and prepared you are during the planning stages of your roadtrip, you won’t be going anywhere if you haven’t paid attention to your vehicle. Afterall, your vehicle is your primary essential for a successful road trip. Make sure that it is in tip top shape.
Essentials for the Perfect Roadtrip
Preparing Your Vehicle is Essential for a Successful Roadtrip
When preparing your vehicle for my successful roadtrip, go through a vehicle checklist and make sure that all of the essentials have been checked off:
- car maintenance
- oil change
- proper tires (snow tires if roadtripping in the winter)
- tires filled with air
- check brakes
- make sure windshield wipers are working
- fluids are topped up (oil, washer fluid, power steering fluid)
- check all break lights, head lights, tail lights and signal lights
- have an emergency roadside kit on hand
- booster cables
- car jack
- spare tire in case you get a flat tire
- driver’s licence and insurance
- it is always a good idea to have a CAA or AAA membership in case you require roadside assistance
- clean inside and outside of vehicle
- full tank of gas
Roadtrip Essentials….Just in Case
The car is now in tip top shape and ready to go. It is time to start packing. While these items are not always essential for your road trip, they are important to have on hand….just in case:
- map (I never depend solely on google maps, just in case service is not available)
- phone charger
- pillow and heavy blanket
- bug spray
- sun tan lotion
- toilet paper
- garbage bag
- hand sanitizer
- good tunes
- small first aid kit:
It’s easier and more time efficient to keep the items needed for a roadtrip packed in a bag and ready to go.
Essential Personal Items for a Successful Roadtrip
The amount of personal items to pack will of course depend on the length of your roadtrip, but it is always a good thing to be prepared in case an emergency arises. Even for a day roadtrip, it is important that you bring these essential personal items with you on your roadtrip:
- fully charged phone
- lots of water
- snacks (nuts, apple, grapes, cheese, crackers, veggies). I love a good picnic!
- light jacket
- comfortable walking/hiking shoes
- change of clothes
- bathing suit
- toothe brush and toothe paste
Conclusion to Road Trip Essentials
You are now aware of all of the essentials needed for a perfect roadtrip. Pack up the car, grab you’re Timmies and hit the road on the best roadtrip ever. Don’t forget to pick up your free Roadtrip Essentials checklist! Where are you headed on your next roadtrip?
HAPPY ROADTRIPPIN 🙂
PIN YOUR ROAD TRIP ESSENTIALS